Film/Movie Recommendations

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Omega133, Aug 13, 2010.

1. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Well...it got a 71% on Rotten Tomatoes with almost 200 reviews. Maybe it just wasn't SG's sort of thing.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. universaldistress Extravagantly Introverted ... Valued Senior Member

Hows about neo planet of the apes flick? Looks like it could have legs? Or not, as the case may be (excuse the pun).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I watched "Xmen:First Class" last night. In some ways, I think I liked it better than first 3. Definitely worth a rental, if you like superhero movies.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. universaldistress Extravagantly Introverted ... Valued Senior Member

Personally I didn't like the X-men movies. There were moments, but the whole thing didn't gel for me. The costumes were off. And Wolverine was too tall.

Even after accepting these things they still lacked the epic action I was expecting after having read a few X-Men comics in my youth.

Will defo ceck out the new flick though.

Incidentally, just saw Mckellan in "The Syndicate" on stage. Was very good.

8. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

The only thing I didn't like was Kevin Bacon as the main bad guy...I think they could have gotten someone more "evil".

edited to add (semi) spoiler

Wolverine has exactly one line in this movie, and it is by far the funniest thing in the film.

9. whynot Registered Senior Member

Tucker and Dale vs Evil looks like a funny movie to see.

Here is a serious from mtv teen wolf. Funny clip:

http://youtu.be/HeTYyO0WOQw

10. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

100% on RT with 20 reviews...I'm going to check it out tonight.

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I've never even heard of it. Who is in it?

12. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

13. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil was pretty hilarious. You'll never laugh more watching college kids die. Worth a watch.

14. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Last night I saw Unknown. Lots of famous names, original story. 5 guys woke up in a warehouse locked in, some of them tied down and they don't remember if they are the good guys or the bad ones, or if they like each other or not.
    I like movies with limited choices. I also so Scenes of the crime, again, a mob movie with original storyline. A driver ends up with a kidnapped crimeboss, and has to figure out what is his best choice to stay alive...Again, some famous names, Jeff Bridges and such...

15. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

Never Let Me Go.

Check it out, fantastic story and performances.

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I went to see "The Help" last weekend. Mrs. Fraggle says it's exactly my kind of movie: no subtlety. They make every point by slapping you in the face with it, then later, in case you forgot, they come back and kick you in the butt with it, and toward the end, just in case you still didn't get it, they hit you over the head with it.

Everything was over the top but I thought it was a good time. For all of us old hippies who marched on picket lines it was a reminder of what we were campaigning against. Not to mention a reminder of how bad things really were in those days, so we don't feel too bad about the fact that the civil rights movement hasn't completely achieved all of its goals, even if we finally have a president who is not of 100% European ancestry. You can't overcome such a gigantic evil in just a couple of generations.

There was a surprising amount of humor for such a downer of a premise. Some was pure irony: The white ladies of the community, who during the daytime were treating their black maids so badly, got together in their little civic organization in the evening to raise money to feed the starving children in Africa.

I have no idea how realistic any of the details were, although the actual news events were accurate--it takes place in Montgomery, Alabama, site of one of the most notorious racial conflicts.

On another thread our members are trying to understand the counterculture of "the sixties" (that misnamed era that began with the first Beatles hit in 1963 and ended with the U.S. pullout from Vietnam in 1975) by analyzing the hippies' music. Sure the music and the drugs and the sexual revolution and the motorcycles and the rejection of religion and the whole "Generation Gap" were there, but what was really important to us was ending war and racism. We didn't do so good with war, but hey one out of two ain't bad.

This movie might help you understand what was driving us. People really lived like that.

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I want to see The Help. (Maybe I should read teh book as well) I still plan on seeing The King's Speech

18. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Excaliber

Village of the Damned

The Graduate

Horse Whisperer

19. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Just watched "Forbidden Planet" again, with Leslie Neilson (as a young man!). Still a classic piece of sci - fi.

20. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

"Paul" 9/10 - The two guys that brought us "Shaun of the Dead" go on a US vacation to attend a comic convention and visit UFO sites only to discover a real alien. Funny as hell.

"Kill the Irishman" 7/10- Based on the real life story of Cleveland mobster Dan Greene...the man with the largest balls in town. A good mobster flick...however...be sure to watch it on a widescreen..otherwise Val Kilmer's MASSIVE head won't fit on the screen!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. spidergoat Liddle' Dick Tater Valued Senior Member

Melancholia (2011) Directed by Lars Von Trier. In the first part, there is a wedding. In the second, the Earth is destroyed by a passing planet. Highly recommended.

22. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

23. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

What's it about?