UFOs (UAPs): Explanations?

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by Magical Realist, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I get flamed and attacked whether I snipe or not. Might as well go down fighting..

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. foghorn Valued Senior Member

Nut allergy?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Since you've opened that door, I'll saunter through it. I'll point out that, historically, the sniping door swung the other way.

http://www.sciforums.com/threads/why-do-ghosts-wear-human-clothes.155788/page-2#post-3369032

That is how you introduced yourself to this reader, long ago in the ghosts thread, by mocking my faculties even as I patiently described well-known flaws in human perception and cognition. (Not to mention the fact that you were - and still are - utterly/wilfully ignorant of the science involved.)

So, let's not pretend you are being victimized here. If anything, you set the precedent with your own comportment.

This is the point where you say "Whatever" and move on, pretending you're not a hypocrite.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Wow..all the way back to 2016. You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel now. lol

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Bottom of the barrel is where you live, yes.

Me, I only visit it.

9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

James R buried the hatchet.....right in my fuck'n skull! lol

11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Ouch! lol

SF isn't for the faint of heart.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Magical Realist likes this.
  12. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

To be clear, it's not the for the wilfully ignorant.

MR has been given innumerable opportunities (even going back to 2016) to avail himself of the sciences that are critical to analysis and scrutiny of anomalous phenomena. For six years he has repeatedly and wilfully refused to educate himself on them, to the detriment of the threads he frequents and the experience of the readers.

The responsibility - and ostensible solution - lies entirely with MR.

That is the long and the short if it. Full stop.

13. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Sounds like another childish ad hom to me. It never ends..

14. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

And you'd still be wrong.

It is about the quality of your arguments in the discussion. They're formed from ignorance of the required sciences. The record shows this.

15. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

You're calling me ignorant, not my arguments. That is a personal attack on me and my mental capacity. Just like how James R repeatedly calls me an idiot. Own up to it.

16. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

And, not a single hatchet was buried that day.

As a side note, I once was a member of a site a few years back where they had a ''fight'' section, and if members had grudges with each other, that was the only place they could air them. The forum rules didn't apply when you were in that section and that section was ''hidden'' from the rest. You needed a “secret key”, so to speak to see it. I thought it was weird, but some people used it and felt better. lol

17. Yazata Valued Senior Member

Science doesn't seem to me to be merely a set of authoritative dogmas printed in textbooks. It's various processes of inquiry that address questions whose answers are unknown (and hence mysterious).

Yes, I have no objection.

I do have many philosophical questions about how best to address unknowns, about the sorts of assumptions that should be built into the inquiry and so on. It's the philosophical questions that really interest me.

I just think that if the nature of "UAPs" is currently unknown, then jumping to conclusions about their nature is a mistake.

Far from attacking "skeptics and scientists" as JR would have it, I'm more inclined to treat movement "skeptics" and scientists as different classes that may have some limited overlap. They aren't synonyms.

As for what I would do differently if I was in charge of UFO investigations, I don't think that I would do anything different. My views at the moment are entirely consistent with the "UAP Preliminary Assessment" that something seems to have been physically happening in most of their 144 cases (perhaps a variety of different things in different cases) and they don't know what it was.

We shouldn't assume alien spaceships, nor should we assume "mundane" explanations (in my sense of 'mundane': familiar, uninteresting, nothing-to-see-here). I consider the 'tic-tacs' in particular to be extraordinary unknowns -- with 'extraordinary' simply meaning 'extra-ordinary'. They were definitely that.

As I wrote in my last post, I see philosophical issues with the word 'unidentifiable'.

I think that most UFO/UAP reports are 'unusual' by their nature. That''s why they are being reported. They are currently 'unidentified'. Whether they are 'unidentifiable' in principle is yet another issue. Just on philosophical grounds, I don't want to rule out the possibility of phenomena that human beings will never be able to identify/explain/account for, But expressing that idea makes "skeptics" bare their teeth, so I won't pursue it.

If their nature is unknown, then we shouldn't prejudge what they are and aren't. We may personally favor certain hypotheses, but shouldn't become so locked into them that we reject and oppose any other alternatives. These things just might conceivably turn out to be something new and unexpected.

Yes, I think that you hit on MR's motivations very well. I have quite a bit of sympathy with them, since I think of reality as far more mysterious than most people do. (I touched on that in my last post as well.) I'm surrounded by unknowns every moment of every day. So I have no trouble getting my mind around the idea that something new might happen to surprise me (and everyone else).

I couldn't agree more. That's why it's probably best to classify them for the moment as 'extraordinary unknowns' that require further investigation. I'm not on board with assuming they are alien spacecraft, nor am I on board with what appear to me to be facile speculative dismissals.

Exactly.

wegs and Magical Realist like this.
  18. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

No, you are admitting your own ignorance by posting arguments that deny known fact.

You do demonstrate - in fact openly admit to - a lack of knowledge of critical sciences for studying anomalous phenomena. That is objectively demonstrable.

Ignorance is not an insult; it is an observation of a demonstrated lack of knowledge. That is the definition of ignorance, and it is an objective one.

You cannot use ignorance as a defense.

Note that truth is a defense to alleged slander. IOW, if it's true, it's not slanderous.

Your ignorance was posted here, by you, for all to see. You made it fair game.

You cannot use ignorance as a defense.

19. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

It's an adhom and a personal attack. Man up and admit to it.

20. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

It is not. You are wrong about ad homs - as you always are.

You
    posted your ignorance here in lieu of valid knowledge on the subject. Your arguments are based on a denial of known science. Your arguments are fair game.

Ignorance is not a defense.

You've had plenty of opportunity to learn this. Stop polluting this thread with your ignorance.

21. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Repeating an adhom doesn't make it true. In the interest of this thread, I'm moving on.

22. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Moving forward, when you complain about ad homs without having first availed yourself of what it is, I'm going to report it as the trolling it is.

I will also report arguments contrary to known science as trolling, since you in particular have been given ample tutelage on what, how and where you can educate yourself, and either have chosen not to or are unable.

Ignorance is not a defense.

23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Typical whiney response. Run to the mods to get me banned. How many reports on me have you filed in the last 2 months?